Tuesday, September 07, 2004

Hmmm, I swore to myself that I would not wait this many days between posts. I was thinking last Friday morning that this past weekend would be a perfect time to get a jump on my holiday projects. Unfortunately, that turned out to be not so. I wound up picking Carlin up from school early Friday, she had a major headache. We ran to Trader Joe's and after we were finished ran to the bank where the car died as we were pulling out of the lot. Not a quick painless death, but a shimmy-ing and shaking death. We managed to make it another block and it completely died, wouldn't turn over, nothing. It still amazes me that people think you are sitting in the middle of the street because you choose to and honk at you because you actually decided to park there, on purpose. These are obviously people who have never had a car break down. Otherwise, they would know it just adds to the stress of the situation. Luckily, for us there was a mechanic just across the street (like Starbucks, there is one on every corner). Turned out to be the Alternator, which I had a feeling it would be. They were able to replace it while we waited and I didn't get scammed. So, I guess all things considered it turned into a positive experience. I was telling my friend Molly about it on Friday night and her first question to me was "Did you have some extra money?" Peculiar question, I thought. I said, "yep, thank god." She said, " cars know when you have extra money" and in her experience that's when they break down. I thought that was a very astute observation.
We don't have air conditioning and true to my friend Karen's predictions it turned into the hottest weekend of the summer, thus far.
I managed to finish the niece's poncho but it was just too freaking hot for anything else. I could hardly scrape myself up to get more ice water. We all kind of just layed around basting in our own sweat. Isn't that a pleasant vision. I'm looking forward to the Weather Service's projected cool down toward the end of the week.
Poncho picture accidently removed by Carlin (even the Blog isn't safe)
I ended up using some "fun fur" as the edging to the poncho, what 5 year old little girl wouldn't love that...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

See, I told you it would be hot! Where is your scarf? Carlin....are you there??????????????

The poncho came out very cute. Bring it Thrusday night, I'd like to see it close up.

Gee, if the car only breaks down when you have money, my car will NEVER break down....you think? Hee, hee.

Happy sweating, I'm with ya on that one!

Tootles~