Saturday, September 10, 2005

"Very hot and still the air was, Very smooth the gliding river, Motionless the sleeping shadows" Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

It's been awhile since my last entry. it was too hot to write anything coherent (see my last post.)The level of heat this summer had really begun to get to me. We don't have air conditioning. Our house is over 100 years old and I guess no one ever bothered to have it installed. Usually, the temps over the summer near Downtown L.A., which is only about a mile and a half from me, do not warrant having air conditioning. Believe it or not 15 miles inland we still get the ocean breezes, what with no hills or mountains to get in the way. I actually semi-seriously pondered the idea of getting air conditioning for a few weeks this summer. But alas, the weather yesterday and for a few days more at least, have been overcast and in the upper 60's and low 70's, enough to make my air conditioning needs almost a distant memory.

I also found myself over the last couple of weeks to be very affected emotionally by the situation on the Gulf Coast. Just when I thought I was incapable of having those types of feelings toward humankind I have an emotional breakdown that seems to just go on and on.


The cooler weather means that I will again have to pick up TDB (the damn blanket). The occasion for which I need to present that present is fast approaching. However, i'm sure it will have to be late. My mother's birthday was last Tuesday and i'm near completion on her obligatory gift, a shawl. The blanket has re-entered the queue right after that. Photos are forthcoming.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

It's funny...we think we've seen all the horror in the world that could shock us, then something like 9/11, or Hurricane Katrina. It makes me think of that saying, you don't stop getting shocked by things till you're dead.

Anonymous said...

I don't know how you do it without A/C in the summer... I just about packed up and headed to Alaska when my A/C was broken back a few months ago. I'm spoilt. Rotten to the core!

... but it was so nice this past weekend, wasn't it! Perfect SoCal weather.

Ditto your paragraph about the news ... I've also been hit hard with the gulf coast situation, one of the towns I used to spend summers in during my childhood is completely gone. Wiped off the map. And so much loss. Just find myself crying at all the wrong times, turning on the news now is like turning on the waterworks.

p.s. love the use of verklempt from one of your July entries!!

Anonymous said...

did you know.... that TDB are my initials? it gave me a pause.
tb :)