Wednesday, July 12, 2006

I love them. I hate them.

My socks. I want to cry. I made some sort of unfixable mistake and I had to take them apart. Not to mention that my gauge was too tight and they wouldn't have even fit a Barbie. I'm so friggin' obsessed by making them it actually keeps me awake during the day. That's NOT right. I tried making them with bigger needles to account for their small size and they started coming out too holey. Do I increase evenly instead for the larger size? They are just a basic ribbed sock, nothing fancy.

4 comments:

tb said...

Well, here is the basic question: did you measure your gauge? The last sock I started was way too small for me and I just ripped it out and added the number of stitches in the pattern for a full repeat. So, I'm doing a k6p2 rib and started out with 56 stitches. I ripped it out and restarted with 64. That would be my suggestion, figure out the number of stitches in the pattern, and increase your cast on in that number. Hope that helps.

Anonymous said...

T is right. Add a repeat (or two or three). If you want to be very clever, you can measure your gauge and calculate how many repeats you need to add. (I did this the other day and felt very smart afterwards. I take my ego boosts when and where I can.)

Anonymous said...

this is going to be a dumb sugestion,but it's what I would do: from what I have seen,as far as the cast on # is concerned, there are patterns calling for 50
something stitches, 60 and 70 something stitches and even in the 80's.It depends on the sock yarn. Find a pattern that has more stitches in the cast on and try that.
Don't give up- your sock was so pretty!

Diane said...

Danielle - thanks for stopping by my blog - I'm using Wildflower DK by Plymouth for the tank, which is one of the recommended yarns. Not sure this will help for the ribbing, but check out the sock calclulator at http://www.panix.com/~ilaine/nsocks.html